Former Riverview Union High School
This was the first high school constructed in Contra Costa County. Supported by the Woman's Club of Antioch, the first joint communities bond was passed in 1908 for $20,000 by Antioch, Pittsburg, Somersville, Nortonville, and Live Oak School Districts.
Charles Appleton Hooper donated
unincorporated land for the school. The election of April 1,
1910, approved the site and elected all new Antioch
trustees. Construction began in September 1910 and the
school was opened November 4, 1911. Antioch and Pittsburg
dissolved the Union District in 1925. The last Antioch class
graduated from Riverview Union High School in 1931.
The Antioch Historical Society
registered this site with the National Register of
Historical Places on October 14, 1998. This historic
building became the home of the Antioch Historical
Society Museum following its purchase in 1999.
Antioch Historical Society
1500 W. Fourth Street
Antioch, CA 94509
New book on sale!
|Join Our Mailing List
|Stay Up-To-Date on Art & Cultural Event Happenings by signing up for your Free Monthly E-Newsletter!